Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Worth thinking about

While of course checking out Pinterest, and reading some of these crafty, home maker mommy blogs I like to read I came across this article, it is a good read and worth a couple minutes of your time.


After reading this article I did some reflecting...
It's so easy to while away the hours on my computer, checking out projects I want to try, recipes I would like to make and of course spending time on Pinterest, Facebook and blogging. While all of these things are mostly good- as they keep me connected with friends and help to inspire me there is also this factor that they are inadvertently making mothers feel inadequate. Making mothers feel that they don't do enough activities with their children, they don't have the perfectly decorated home or the gourmet meals, or the latest fashions. I took away from this article that we NEED to stop comparing ourselves as mothers to the others out there and just be the best mom you know how to be to your children. Give them love, attention and just be there in the moment for them.
I love to share pictures on Facebook so my friends can see what we've been up to and write about our happenings on my blog, but like this article says we then start to compare ourselves to others out there not taking into consideration that we only see what people want us to, we don't see the temper tantrums, the meltdowns before bedtime, we don't see the exhausted mother getting upset with her children.
This article also made me realize how much more important it is for me to spend less time on these devices and more time devoted to them. I have been very guilty in the past of going on my computer during the day while the children are playing thinking I need the time for myself or that I deserve it, now after the fact feeling very guilty about the time I threw away that wasn't spent with them. I have made it my goal over the last few months to only go on the computer when they are napping or have gone to bed for the night, of course I have fallen short and regressed on occasion but for the most part have stuck to it and it makes for a much more peaceful, content feeling at the end of the day.
I will continue to blog and go on Facebook and browse Pinterest- for ideas and inspiration but I will consciously use my time to be with my children while indulging in the digital world only when the real world is down for the night.
It's quite late so my thoughts are feeling quite disjointed but I really wanted to share this.

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. This is SO good Angela!!
    I read that same article and being on the computer less is definitely something I'm working on as well. It has left me much more relaxed and happy, for some reason. Which then leads to a happier home, children and marriage. As well as a cleaner house :)
    So neat that we're dealing with the same thoughts at the same time.
    Here's to happier homes! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete