Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Schooling Dilemna

As most of you reading this will probably know I have heavily considered homeschooling my children. Having a close friend who home schools there just seems to be so many pros to this lifestyle (if I can call it that), there are of course cons and deciding factors that are different for each family. I remember when I first told Jordan about my wanting to homeschool he was completely opposed not wanting his children to be socially awkward, shy or whatever other stereotypes came along with that term. I was adamant that I would- not forever but for the first few years for sure. Jaxon is only 4 so he still has another year before he can start kindergarten but I've considered starting kindergarten in September and having lesson plans and a schedule and 'school days' mostly for myself to see if this is something I could actually keep up to. A few months later I find myself at the opposite end of the spectrum considering putting him in preschool in the fall as he has a high need to DO, he does play well on his own and with Alivia but I also find he benefits form some structure. I want him (and his siblings) to have every opportunity to learn and discover and have FUN! He is a social guy and I have no worries that he would get along with others, he is a very inquisitive boy and loves to learn, create and do crafts. I feel like I definitely can't keep up to his activity level. We went and checked out a preschool last week and Jaxon was thrilled. It is too far away for us to consider taking him there but then we checked out Sunbeam Preschool (in CLA) and this is our WINNER! My niece went there for 2 years and the teachers (still the same ones) are amazing. The program incorporates a fine arts element (perfect for Jaxon) as well as a Christian based learning. I feel the reason we're putting him in preschool is not necessarily for him to learn (as I have proved to myself this past year I am perfectly capable of teaching him) obviously he will learn but I think it will be great for him to have something he can call his own.
What next year holds for kindergarten I have no idea, I still don't like the idea of him going to school for a full day when he is only 5, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there! Dor now we're embarking on a new adventure and I'm really excited for him.

In this whole process I also came across this quote "Your decisions- diapering, vaccines, school etc. are YOURS and you don't need to defend them". I read this at just the right time as no matter what I thought I wanted for my children I always felt that when I answered someone I had to give my reasons- I definitely felt I needed to defend my answers. In the end we all do our best and try our hardest and do what we believe is right for our children. So every family functions in it's own way and it's neither wrong or right but it's what works for your situation.


1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that schooling was one of the hardest decisions we've made so far.
    I'm glad you found a place that you like. And that Jaxon loves. Part of the reason we never did pre school was because Maria was sooooooo very shy! Not so with Jaxon. One year at a time is a good place to start. I'm excited for Jaxon, too!
    And your quote at the end is bang on. I am always trying to explain what we do and why. People tend to be more curious than judging. I just don't always remember that ;)

    ReplyDelete